The civil parish of Porto de Mos is a small riverside town located in the district of Leiria , Portugal. The town was in the middle of it's agricultural festival when we visited on an overcast day in early July. Overlooking the town is a distinctive castle which sits on top of the highest hill commanding the best views across this beautiful market town.
We were here to visit Castelo de porto de Mos, a castle which has 2 distinctive green tiled roofs on it's towers. We decided to park the car in the town centre and walk up to the castle rather than driving through the narraw streets beneath the castle. Having the 3 boys with us, the walk was followed by a continious moaning about the climb, the distance,... , although the walk only took us about 10 minutes through some very quiet streets.
Nearing the castle, we passed the old village cemetery which includes a chapel believed to have been part of the church of Santa Maria dos Murthinos. The cemetery includes some great examples of funerary architecture.
Having reached the castle, it is obvious that the location of this castle was strategic with the views it provides across the valley. We bought our tickets at the castle's little information desk/shop located at the entrance (€1.55 per adult). The castle was given as an award to General Nuno Alvares Pereira on recognition of his victory at the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385. At a later date, the castle was turned into a fortified palace which was severely damaged during the massive eartquake of 1755.
Stairs within the castle brought us the whole way up the towers, both which are connected by a walkway across the roof (Mind the kids, one side is only fenced off by a rope which can easily be crossed by curious kids).
After our visit, we decided to have a picnic in the local park. It turned out to be a quick picnic as we got interrupted by a heavy shower.