We found ourselves in the small village of Dromahair, County Leitrim on a day where torrential rain had woken us up early in the morning. We arrived early in Dromahair and parked nearby the soccer pitch. From here, it was a short walk towards to village where we turned towards the Bonet river. The river was flowing fast, especially after the heavy rainfall we had endured during the last few days / weeks.
The Creevelea river walk follows the River Bonet from the village towards Creevelea Friary. The Friary is located on the banks of the river Bonet. it was one of the last friaries to be established in Ireland before King Henry VIII dissolved monasteries throughout Ireland and England.
The Franciscan friary was built in 1508, but had to shut its doors less than 30 years later. The ruins are relatively well preserved, and you can still admire the impressive nave, the south transept and the bell tower that was converted into living quarters in the 17th century.
There are a few interesting stone carvings, and we must say we had some fun trying to find them as they decided to play hide and seek with us.
Through its history, the friary was damaged by a fire, it was used as stables in 1590 when the friars were driven out. In 1601, they returned and restored the friary only to be driven out again, this time by the soldiers of Oliver Cromwell.
Once again, the friars returned towards the end of the 17th Century.
The Friary is also located along the Sligo Way, an 80 km designated walk through County Leitrim and County Sligo.